Left On Read


Left On Read


Product design for a fun web-app that analyzes your iMessages to provide insight on your texting habits and sentiment, highlighting your most frequently used words, emojis, fluctuations in emotion, and most importantly, how often you get left on ‘Read’.



Left On Read was in Beta when I joined, and the team was trying to figure out how to overcome existing technical obstacles and make the web app sustainable and possibly profitable. The main issues at hand were

  1. INCENTIVE: Users of the app had little incentive to use it more than once

  2. PRIVACY: Target users were weary of uploading their entire text message history to the app in fear of privacy issues

  3. SERVER: The server being used wasn’t capable of handling the large amounts of traffic and data the site was drawing on campus

  4. VISUAL DESIGN: The visual design of the app didn’t convey the fun, amusing nature of the product and its founders

  5. UPLOAD FLOW: The onboarding/upload process was overly clunky and poorly communicated

The other designer on the team and I spent the term working on solving these problems and transforming a very intelligent web app in Beta into a more substantial product with a wider audience and larger growth potential.




Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.41.48 AM.png



Key feedback from 6 interviews + resulting ideas

  • Users are comfortable uploading their files to the website because they know it is a Dartmouth app. Some didn’t even check the privacy policy

  • Users would not upload files if they randomly came across the website would definitely be sceptical about sharing so much information. It could be better to have a downloadable app, but they still wouldn’t be sure that it would be safe to upload data, incase there was a way for the app developers to access it. Some suggested starting the process of analysing messages by displaying a clear privacy policy

  • Users think the experience would be better and more usable if you didn’t have to manually drag and drop your files - is there a way to just make it access the chat.db by pathname?

  • Users would definitely use it once, would probably use it more than once but definitely not frequently because of having to upload files instead of just opening and seeing stuff

  • Having it as a phone app would make it more attractive - currently impossible from a development side because of Apple’s restrictions on chat data - or as a chrome extension where you can set it to your home page on chrome - so you see it a lot but don’t have to do the uploads yourself

  • Words like “i” “a” “the” should be filtered out of the top words used chart

  • The colors are a bit too “google-y” but logo and landing are striking/appealing

  • The “analyse your texts” subtitle could be improved

  • Cool social media targeted graphics could be great to advertise the app through people sharing - potentially bold infographics with big numbers that can easily be shared to insta-stories or as posts on Facebook






We thought the app needed a new, more fun personality. I started by brainstorming color schemes and mocking up sticker designs. Stickers were the perfect way to a) spread the word about the app and b) spearhead a rebrand

We liked the original logo - the iMessage icon with graphs in the middle, but felt it may have been too literal. The blue gradient and subsequent styling made the product feel like a mundane analytical tool, as opposed to an energetic visualization of fascinating data.



Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 8.38.46 AM.png


I mocked up the following bubble sticker in various color schemes and tested their reception with users in the DALI Lab to see which designs were the most striking and memorable for our target audience.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 8.41.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 8.42.44 AM.png

final logo




Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.44.54 AM.png


Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.45.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.45.22 AM.png


  1. INCENTIVE: I designed features to drive incentive

  2. PRIVACY: As a team, we ensured the privacy policy was detailed, understandable and easy accessible on the landing page of the website to ease security concerns

  3. SERVER: A member of the team found a way to plant a server in DALI to relieve heavy traffic issues

  4. VISUAL DESIGN: I redesigned the website and logo / style guide for LOR, creating stickers to solidify the new aesthetic and brand

  5. UPLOAD FLOW: The other designer and I redesigned the onboarding/upload flow, simplifying the process to improve user experience

Moving forward, LOR’s focus will be to implement the designs for the texting milestones functionality, that will reshape the potential and purpose of the product to create a more sustainable future. It will continue advertising and marketing through social media and expand it’s reach, bringing more people the power to reflect on the role of texting in their lives, and perhaps even change it.